Thursday, March 6, 2008

FIBEROPS INTERVIEW - ALYASHA - TOBI.COM




So TOBI.COM recently did a quick interview with owner of Fiberops ... i loved it so much i had to post it - enjoy!

Name:
Alyasha Owerka-Moore

What I do:

Designer / Creative Director

What I am:

I DJ several nights a week at local SD bars and clubs.
Primarily:
Garage Rock
Primitive Rock-N-Roll
Jump Blues
Rockabilly
Northern Soul

I'm also a Partner in a Rocakbilly Label(Bop-N-Stomp Records). I do all the art Direction.
Still skate a few times a week.
Shoot Pin Up photos.
Collect and restore mid-century modern furniture
Tinker with things ... Building a 1954 Balloon tire bike and a computer right now.
Can't say I do anything "Streetwear" related.

1. What does "streetwear" mean to you?
Clothing you wear in the street?
"Streetwear" Originally meant Cottage Industry / socio-politically driven / intellectually stimulating design.
In the Early 90's there were many small independent companies that spoke to many different subcultures. Mod Brands, Hip-Hop Brands, Punk Brands, Surf/Skate Brands, Raver Brands, Etc... Some spoke to many subcultures simultaniously.
Some of the designers or heads of the companies decided to start their own trade shows and the "Streetwear" industry grew.
It USED to be about genuine Lifestyle(s) now it's about all the "urban" brands who cannot figure out how to survive, trying to mimic the DIY aspect of "streetwear" brands or ultimately buying them up.
Or creating Absurd categories such as "Skurban".
There is NO particular style for skateboarders. Especially since they have always existed in cities or Urban environments and listen to many different styles of music.
The whole term Skurban is offensive to me. For the 7th Avenue Industry person it bluntly means "Black Skater". Guess what !? There have always been black skaters.

Honestly... I have never been a fan of the term regardless of my involvement in that "genre" of the apparel industry.


2. What’s your favorite brand?
Hysteric Glamor is one of the brands that immediately comes to mind. However... I'm not sure that I could honestly say I have one particular Favorite Brand, more favorite designers.
I'm a huge fan of Issey Miyake, Paul Smith,Tabo Kagaya, Rie Kawakubo, Erick Brunetti, Teru and Takashi from Anti-Good.



3. What’s one piece from your wardrobe you'll keep forever?
An Issey Miyake outerwear (Goretex/Taped Seams) jacket I got in Tokyo in 96.

No comments: